Father: William L Herd
Mother: Nancy Melinda Farley
James was born in Arkansas 6/24/1860.
He married Lucy Daniel Trout in Granby, Missouri, 7/1/ 1883 at Green Ridge School in Barry County, Missouri
He is the father of:
- William Samuel Herd in Berry County, Missouri, 9/1/1884.
- John "Johnny" Oliver Herd.
- Fredrick Randolph Herd.
- Arthur Major Cleveland Herd.
- Anna Irene Herd in Bomar, Love County, Oklahoma, 1/27/1901.
- Ina Pauline Herd in Johnstown Missouri, 3/5/1907.
He ran a grist mill and post office in Cyclone, Missouri and he was a sucessful merchant at the time of his death.
He was a miner in his younger years and that killed him, he died of black lung.
James died 1/31/1914 in Anderson, Missouri, at 53 years of age.Burial:1914 in Carterville, Missouri, Carterville, Missouri Cemetery, Herd Plot.